Monday, October 28, 2013

It's (officially) Fall Y'all

I know Fall has arrived when you can open up your windows to keep your apartment comfortable. A few weekends ago, life seemed to be in fast forward mode. Come Monday evening, all I wanted was a lazy night of How I Met Your Mother and dinner. I wasn't sure what to cook so I flipped through my recipe box and went to the soup section, duh it's Fall!

A few winters ago, my brother-in-law and sister made this one a chilly Sunday. We all fell in love! In my house, we grew-up eating my mama's dark chili so this was something new. We use a recipe by The Girl Who Ate Everything. Over the time, we've made little tweaks here and there, but overall it's her recipe.

Keep in mind her quote on this blog post by Paula Deen "I'm not your nurse, I'm your cook!" It's the fall and we all want savory foods anyways.

For this recipe, I always add the ingredients to the Crock Pot first before I begin at the stove. Drain 1 can Pinto Beans and 2 cans Great Northern Beans before adding them. Add in 14oz green chilies, shredded meat of a rotisserie chicken, 2 tsp hot sauce, 2 tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp chili powder.
Can't have too many beans
FYI ** I accidentally added my 14 oz of chicken broth to my Crock Pot so I didn't thicken it with the 1 quart or 4 C of half-and-half. The chili still thickened up and tasted just as yummy per usual. 
It's filling up
Sauté 1 glove of minced garlic and 1 large yellow onion diced in 2 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Over another eye, make a roux by melting 4 Tbsp of butter and whisking in 1/2 C flour. Stir this constantly so it doesn't stick and let this boil for 3 minutes. Lastly, you will need to add 1 qt (or 4C) half-and-half to 12-14 oz chicken broth until it is thick and simmering (about 3 mins). Once the onion mixture is complete, add it to your roux. Then add all of this into your Crock Pot ... it'll fill it up to the brim. Promise!

Heat on high for about 2 hours or on low if you have all day!

Serve with freshly shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.
This doesn't do it justice
Happy Eating, y'all!
Good Golly

No comments:

Post a Comment