Wednesday, September 18, 2013

An Apron Is Highly Recommended

Recently, with my schedule and Adam's if we get an afternoon together or night to sit down and work on homework together we take up the advantage. Just last week, our 'date night' was to Hodges to work on papers for our classes this semester. I guess, we gotta take what we are given.

This week, we got lucky and were able to make dinner plus enjoy watching Cheaper by the Dozen with a side of Pittsburg vs. Bengals football. While I am not the biggest pasta fan, Adam loves it. Trying to make sacrifices, I raided my recipe box and knew exactly what to make ... my mom's baked ziti!

So if you enjoy a very tasty, hearty, and rich pasta dish - this is the one for you! It'll take you about 35 minutes to prepare and 25 minutes to bake. Start with a box of ziti pasta (16-oz.) and cook it according to the package in a large Dutch oven. Drain and return to you Dutch oven.
This is a 5-qt. Dutch oven
Meanwhile, sauté 1/2 chopped medium-sized onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add 2 minced garlic cloves (or 1 tsp. minced garlic) and sauté for 1 minute. 
Onions and garlic sauteing
Then, add 1/2 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. Italian sausage (I used hot) or you can use 1lb. ground beef, and cook, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink (USDA recommends reaching 160). Drain beef mixture, and return to pan. Stir in 1, 26-oz can of pasta sauce (I used a plain store brand can that was 28-oz) and set aside. I added a handful of each fresh herb - thyme, sweet basil, and Greek oregano to the pasta sauce. You can use any herb sauce or spices you have around your pantry!
Meat mixture with fresh grown herbs
Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat; whisk 3 Tbsp. All-Purpose flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in 3C milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. (It takes longer than expected) Stir in 1C grated Parmesan cheese (I cheated and used the grated Parmesan that comes in the shaker) and pepper (about 1/2 tsp. or TT) Pour the sauce over pasta in Dutch oven, stirring until pasta is evenly coated.
Noodles with white cream sauce
Transfer pasta mixture into a lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Top evenly with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with 8-oz. of mozzarella cheese.

Ready to go in the oven!
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted (and the bottom is bubbling). You might want to let it sit for a few minutes before serving. It can be warm!

Enjoy! I know we both did.

Happy baking and tasty eating.
Good Golly

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I think I might just make this to carb load before my run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great carbohydrate load pre- or post-race! Luckily, you can make some easy, healthy ingredient modifications. Happy runnings to you.

      Delete