| My wonderful daddy and I |
If you'd like to laugh, enjoy a good drink, or watch some weird A&E t/v shows ... then you'd enjoy a typical night at home with my dad.
While I might not look as much like my dad as I do my mom, I did get some of his genes. Our inability to donate blood, the beady eyes, wild eyebrows and even wilder curly hair, his chin, plus some little toes & hands.
Over the last 3 years, my relationship with my dad has changed drastically. Now that I think about it, our relationship really changed when I started dating. If I flash back to my 4 years of high schol ...
- Freshman year: Dad went on a man-hunt to meet the 'young man' that took his daughter out that did not pay but got 'paid' with her first kiss. I've never been more mortified in my life. Needless to say ... Lesson Learned - (1) Guys should always pay to get even a hug goodnight.
- Sophomore year: Ever realized how little dad's really talk. Well, I am a huge talker so I notice those things. Anyways, when dads speak, it's always important ... Lesson Learned - (2) Dads always know best [when it comes to dating and fashion, promise].
- Junior Year: This was a year without boys, thankfully! I bought my first car with the help from my grandfather, Big 'D. Even though it was old school, I loved Myrtle. She taught me to appreciate 4 wheels ... she had a car phone, no keyless entry or CD player, and no cup holders either ... Lesson Learned - (3) Known how to manage a car ... oil, gas, washing, waxing, and vacuuming!
- Senior Year: I was without a prom date a few weeks before the big day. I finally asked someone and a week before he got grounded. All I wanted to do was cry while out at dinner with my family, when Dad said "I'll take you!" As sweet as that was ... YOU CAN'T TAKE YOUR DAD TO YOUR SENIOR PROM!!! Lesson Learned - (4) No one's love is greater than a father's.
If I keep flashing back over the last 21 years, Dad has been more than a role model or a friend or just that gentle yet somehow strong hug. He taught me how to ride a bike, pour a beer [without a head], understand chemistry, drive a car, mow the yard, enjoy running and so much more.
Dad, you let me make my own choices. Some not the best. You've let me get my heart broken to learn what I truly deserve. To follow my dreams, to laugh always and to not be so dramatic.
So on this special day, I won't complain when you make your hand gestures in public. You can fart all you want and Mom can't kick you out of the 'Happy Room' or from the kitchen table. And you can read the Target ad 1st.
Thanks for all the father/daughter swing dances, quiet car rides, advice, and love.
Happy Father's Day!
xox,
always your Weezer
No comments:
Post a Comment