| Lyndsey & I |
Rooooollllllll Caaaaaallllllllll
shabooooom, shaboooooom
No, I'm not crazy, it's a real thing! Sung just like it is typed. In Fall 2010, I decided to apply to be a Gamma Chi Recruitment counselor for the Panhellenic Conference at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. I think I told 5 people! I seem to do that when I apply for positions that I really want.
![]() |
| Caroline, Morgan, Kristin, and I |
![]() |
| sisters x 2 |
I will never forget that night. It was a Monday night, the Monday of Homecoming 2010 to be exact, and there stood who I would soon call friends holding a banner that contained 63 women's names. These 63 women would soon become my 'sisters' and friends during the months of June - August. Of course, I was standing on the 4th floor trying to read names ... it's impossible! A few older sorority sister's and past Gamma Chi's told me to now worry as they were dropping it. I rushed down to the 1st floor and two of my dear friends (Morgan & Kristin) in my pledge class ran up to me say 'CONGRATULATIONS!!!'. I doubt I would have wanted two other friends telling me such wonderful news. My next reaction was to call my mama. She took the call, thank goodness! She told her patient that if the phone went off, she would need to take it. It would mean good news. Of course, she was correct. Secondly, I texted my older sister and then my Gamma Chi, Kelsey.
| Group #1 - my Gamma Chi group |
We always hear those stories of how people touch our lives ... well I found mine. Her name is Kelsey Anito and she is someone that I am grateful for each and everyday. I don't always think about it. But it someone was to ask why I am involved within the Sorority and Fraternity Life community, I would quickly respond with her name. She is the reason why I became a Gamma Chi and the reasons why I ran for Panhellenic Executive Board and inturn became a Gamma Chi again.
| Maggie & I during Recuitment |
I think there are two reasons for becoming a Gamma Chi ... either yours was miserable or yours was fantastic! Obviously Kelsey was nothing short of fantastic! Thanks to her, my sophomore year 6 women in our group applied and 3 of us were Gamma Chis of p/c 2011. And this year, I am please to say that one more of those women became a member of the family!
Tonight, a Greek Week event was a 'Suite life of Panhellenic' tour. Each chapter had their suite over with sweet treats, pictures, music and displays of their future (well quickly approaching) homes. We ended the event with one large roll call of Gamma Chis from 2010, 2011 and currently 2012! As I walked thru the suites not only was I not uncomfortable since I kept running into old and new Gamma Chis but I thought to myself ... wow! There are some 3,500 greek men and women on this campus. If just one of us could inspire another, could you image what the campus, Knoxville community, and world could become.
Like in the ending of one of my favorite movies, Grease, Principal McGee reads the following ...
"Attention seniors. Before the merriment of commencement commences, I hope your years with us
here at Rydell have prepared you for the challenges you face. Who knows? Amoung you there may be a
future Eleanor Roosevelt or a Rosemary Clooney, and among you young mean, there may be a Joe DiMaggio,
a president Eisenhower or even a Vice President NIxon. But you will always have the
florious memories of Rydell High. Rydell forever. Bon voyage."
| My grandlittles and I |
| Group #23 - when I was a ΓX, 2011 |
I think it's true. I look at where my potential new members (PNMs) have grown in these months as Freshman/Sophomores in college and I wonder who they might become. I look at the youngest pledge class within my chapter and I am proud to see them so involved. See them dedicated to philanthropy, scholarship, leadership, and among everything our sisterhood. I can only hope that, like Kelsey, I have lit the fire in one of these young women. I hope to see some become Gamma Chis, members of our chapters executive board and hell maybe even Panhellenic President!
Sisters out there ... I love y'all!!!!
Good Golly
Good Golly


No comments:
Post a Comment