Sunday, November 6, 2011

All this in one month

October is over but this month is not a month of only ghost and goblins (and many showings of Hocus Pocus)! It was one of many memorable moments. And I am still in shock for the many things it brought to me!
My very large, loud and loving family

Typical Mallory & Caleb
For starters, my sister, Mallory and Caleb got engaged. Engaged I tell you ... ENGAGED!!! (eeeek) That is for sure the biggest and greatest blessing October brought to not only my life but all of those that know Mallory and Caleb. The engagement happened the weekend of the LSU vs. UTK game and we were so lucky to have Caleb's family in town and as well as our cousins for LA (that's Louisiana for y'all who think it might have been Cali). Caleb proposed to Mallory at Nama, where they had their first date, after a very nervous car ride to Knoxville & a parking lot meeting with Ethan (Caleb's younger brother to get the bling!). Caleb tried to talk to Mallory and state how much he loved her and how wonderful their life together will be. In her true fashion, she was changing the topic. Finally, Caleb got frustrated with her and simply got down on a knee and asked for her hand in marriage. She called me crying! We were all waiting for the phone call and our families showed up to celebrate this very exciting moment. Now, wedding is a common topic between our families. The happy couple is planning a Fall 2012 wedding and I can't wait!!! (If you want to see the ring, don't search FB but rather find Mallory's left hand. It'll probably be blinding you or dragging behind her.)

Secondly, October blessed me with my true friendships. I know college is all about finding who you are and getting yourself ready for the 'big kid world' well #1) I'm not ready for the big kid world and #2) I am learning who I am and who I want to become. College has blessed me with amazing girlfriends both within Zeta Tau Alpha and other sororities as well as outside the Greek community. And due to Zeta Tau Alpha, I have met my very best guy friends. I could not think of a day without them. They are always coming to my rescue - rather telling me to not date someone, giving me a ride, and of course being the very dates I could ask for! As I sit here on this beautiful Sunday morning, I could not imagine my life without these friends. I know they are the people that love me for the good and not so good. So thanks, guys! Y'all are the very best. (I even got the joy of Skyping my good friend from high school this week. And even though we don't talk as regularly as we're both like. I love how we can pick right back up. She is one of those friends that truly keeps me grounded) #WacotoKnox



Only a few of the important folks in my life in KnoxVegas




Lastly, October taught me how blessed I truly am. I am in good health (and according to WiiFit, my fitness age is actually 20  - when does that ever happen to people!!!). Also, that laughter is the best kind of medicine along with a little faith in the Lord. But October is an important month to many people. Especially those that fight or have fought the pink fight. I am lucky to have a small part in such a big fight. In being a Zeta Tau Alpha, we work year around for the women and men that battle for their life. Thankfully, the entire month, we have the support of the NFL as well as many college campuses. It shocks me every year at the amount of pink ribbons I see (and mainly worn by men - thanks, guys!) But every year in the great city of Knoxville, we have a Race for the Cure. This year was the largest in this race's history. I had the honor of running it with both my wonderful Momma and dedicated Daddy. This is their 7th, (7th I say) Knoxville Area Race for the Cure. It might have been a chilly race day but I was so proud of my parents. Momma, who hasn't been a runner since she hurt her ankle years ago, ran the race this year until 45 minutes!!!!!  In participating in RFTC, I gain the opportunity to see the 'Warriors in Pink' because in my opinion that is exactly what those women (& men) are. They are warriors! I always tell myself that no matter the pain I feel while running (rather it's climbing that hill or the brisk air filling my lungs) it is NO where near the fear and pain felt my those affect by this disease. By the end of someone's lifetime, they will know 1:8 women affected by this illness. I am only 20 and I know way over 8. But we should be grateful because the number has gone from 1:7 to 1:8 in recent years, which is a major highlight to all of us who make it our efforts to end this disease. Also, this year marks the first year one of my pledge sister's mom could participate in the race. She has been receiving treatments and been too ill since our freshman year. There was no greater moment then knowing that 150 sisters were running and cheering on one of our own. During the race this year, I also saw a young mom pushing her children running in all pink. And really I think that is why race is really important to me. Of course I want people of all ages to win their battle but it's really for the young 'Warriors' the one's who still need to see their kids go to school or learn to tie tennis shoes or go on their first date or see their daughters fall in love for the first time. It's those individuals that make RFTC so important! As we all being our next month, may we not stop wearing pink because these folks battle's aren't over. They are still fighting for their life.


I hope you had an equally blessed October but that November and the coming holidays are full of joy, gratitude, and love!

xoxo,
Good Golly




No comments:

Post a Comment