Think back to yesterday, 2 weeks ago, 4 months ago or simply 1 year ago ...
for me ...
yesterday was my chilhood babysister's wedding (which is looked absolutely beautiful)
2 weeks ago I was visiting my friends & little in Knoxville and Murfressboro
4 months ago was March - my sister was moving back to Collierville, I had my first big event as a Gamma Chi, and has just spent one amazing week with my sorority sisters at the beach
as for 1 year ago, I was spending ten amazing days in Managua, Nicaragua
Managua not only was hot and tiring but an eye opening experience. I met 6 families as well as 4 nuns, 1 priest, and 24 orphans that changed my outlook on my life and lifestyle.
Who ever said running water was a necessity never spent time without it. If you know me, I'm not the best at showering. I once read you must let your body reproduce oils so therefore you should shower every 2 days. Okay so I do unless I've worked out or been outside all day. As for Managua, my shower was a 32 gallon Rubbermaid, and my faucet was a pale. Tricia and I freaked at first but quickly it became normal. We used the pale to flush our toilet and wash our face or hair. As for brushing our teeth (I'm still my Mother's daughter so obviously, I wasn't about to use their water in my mouth), everyday we'd pack 3 bottles of water from the orphanage - 2 for us to drink to become rehydrated and the other to brush our teeth with and to use to wash out the toothbrush.
I promise I was grateful during my 10 days in Managua. Not only did 5 families open up their homes to strangers but they shared much about their faith and life with us. I attended a Nicaraguan church where Tricia thought they were selling cars - no they were telling folks if they had left their head lights on! It was a wonderful experience - obviously I didn't understand the message but I did know the bible verse and songs sung. I even had the opportunity to see into my host family's life. I met 7 of the siblings - only short 2! Two of the sisters lived in my home while the others stopped by regularly, which apparently wasn't because we were there. But because they enjoyed knowing about one another. It wasn't about writing an e-mail or text or even calling. It was about seeing each other and giving a lot of kisses!

No comments:
Post a Comment