Sunday, August 3, 2014

April Running Brings May Hurting and Never Running Again

What was I ever thinking signing up for two half marathons...2 weeks apart!


Oak Barrel 13.1
Not my brightest moment, but I did get the opportunity to run the Oak Barrel 13.1 at the beginning of April with my dad, brother-in-law, boyfriend, and one of Adam's good friends. While the course is a dozy, I would recommend it to any runner. If you pace yourself on race day and challenged yourself during training, you will succeed. PROMISE!

I actually PR'ed this race @ 2:28:59. Not only is the course challenging, but the views are beautiful and the smells are well ... country. Realize you are running in the middle of nowhere Middle TN! Be aware that springtime in Tennessee is always a roller coaster. This year it was a beautiful day but barely 50 at the gun; so on top of the mountains I wished I hadn't thrown my sister my running jacket at the start.

If you ever plan on running this race, be mentally prepared to not see any spectators during the course. Plan it out for water, clothing, etc!

If my first race for 2014 wasn't difficult enough with a total elevation of 1136.0 feet and an increase of 623.0 feet throughout the course, I tried to tackle Nashville's Country Music 13.1. This race was my replacement race to Memphis' St. Jude Marathon Weekend, which was canceled due to weather.

Words of Wisdom:
"Always train in at least 2 pairs of shoes!" 

While I only hit the road once after Jack Daniel's, I did think I could complete Nashville in good time. However, with temperatures above 85 F, not a cloud in the sky and burnt out shoes, I moved from the thought of another PR to simply trying to finish!
Rock 'N Roll Country Music 13.1
Rock 'N Roll Country Music 13.1, 2010
While the race wasn't ideal, I did PR the course! Nashville was my first race ever 4 years ago. Initially, I was embarrassed about my time, but I realized how much growth has happened with my running over the past years.


2014 - 2:31:38
2010 - 2:41:15

Since I haven't been running much since April, I didn't know when or where my next race would be. Thanks to a good friend I will now be running the Foot Levelers Blue Ridge 13.1 in April of 2015! See you Roanoke.

Happy running to you all,
Good Golly

No comments:

Post a Comment