Monday, July 8, 2013

Home is where the heart is

How quickly life can change. Yet, how quickly life can become more blessed. Can you believe it's already July! Where has Summer 2013 gone? So far, Summer 2013 has been filled with a few I-40 roadtrips, days at the pool, working on graduate research, and many LITs!

Recently, Adam and I headed to good ole Collierville for a weekend with my family filled with more projects for my 'big girl' apartment. I call them crafts, yet my father quickly corrected me and called them 'wood work' projects. (There will be pictures to come, once I move into my new apartment in T-9 days!) Nothing beats quality time with my dad doing things he loves. 

Adam did get to experience some of Memphis' finest - Charlie's Meat Market, Kay's Bakery, Muddy's Bakeshop, Main Street Collierville & Main Street Memphis. Plus a few mornings and evenings sitting underneath my parent's new tin porch roof!


Bethany Hills Church Camp
What this blog post is really about . . . comfort. Finding comfort at home, in the arms of friendly hugs, or with the familiarity of a hometown. Adam and I began our drive back to Knoxville on Sunday with a planned stop at Bethany Hills then back roads to his home. Never did we expect 45 minutes outside of Memphis to hydroplane and spin a doughnut across both lanes of I-40E. Thankfully, Adam made a few jokes to make me smile and I tried to be tough and not cry . . . but that didn't happen. We were okay and so was my car. He willingly offered to drive the rest of the way, praise the Lord. As the drive continued, I was grateful that he wanted to see camp and after a walk around BHC, my nerves were calmed. We drove into his driveway to enjoy a very yummy dinner prepared by his parents, when the sun had begun to set. Even though the sunset was hiding behind some clouds, pink was shining through. Adam said we got lucky because we, heathens, had finally attended church, but I said we had a guardian angel. Especially after seeing the pink sunset, I knew it was true.

Maybe all it took was that sudden rain shower or 10+ hours in the car to get to know more about one another . . . but the best way to build relationships/friendships is to be comfortable with the other person. Not saying you need to share all your deepest, darkest secrets. What I am saying is that you need to respect one another, where they came from, who they dream to be, and how they got to their current place.

As Summer 2013 continues to fly by, don't forget to find God in the little moments of life. I know I have drifted, especially over the past 4 years, but at the end of the day, I am thankful for God, the people he has placed in my life, the education he has provided me with, and the health has blessed me with. 

Isaiah 12:2
John 1:3

Keep your eyes open and heart full.
Good Golly

No comments:

Post a Comment