Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It'll last a lifetime

During my time at UT, I have heard about a camp for those with disabilities. I have tried to enroll in the class, but either it has not worked into my schedule or my course load was too daunting to miss 1-week of classes. Luckily, this semester I was able to make it work! I remember waiting for Panhellenic Council to begin and semi-panicking because I didn't have enough hours to be a 'full' time student. My great friend, Emily recommended the class. Flash forward to this moment ... BEST ADVICE ever!

In November, I spent a weekend at Koinonia Retreat. A getaway for those that have aged out of the week camp. It was one heck of an experience and I knew I had made the correct choice in registering for the class.
Rockin' Robots - my cabin group
LaShawn before Sports & Games
Jacob during Mad Science













My participant, Jacob and I at Koinonia Retreat
Justin with me and Emily at the Space Dance

Kalee, Drew, and me
Gordo and me
Over the past weekends, I have begun spending more time with those involved with Camp Koinonia and the Therapeutic Recreation program. Some I know from Greek life, my major, or church camp, but some I am meeting for the first time. Camp K countdown should have already begun, but I think I'll wait until March officially begins!
Jack, Andrea, Holly, me, and Sam . . . aka Space Jammers
Andrea, Holly, and me
Two weekends ago, not only did I have TN Zeta Day but Sam (our head counselor) and I got the opportunity to go hang out Maddox - his camper from last year and mine for this year. Maddox invited us to his 10th birthday party - pool party of course! Don't worry, it was indoors. I couldn't have prayed for a better cabin group or camper!
Maddox @ Camp Oginali this Fall

Sam & Maddox at Camp K, 2012














So everyone get up, it's time to slam now!

Good Golly

P.S. Camp Koinonia - an experience that will last a lifetime, a home away from home. When I gave my love, I found my own ...

No comments:

Post a Comment