As kids, we are always asked what you'd like to do when a babysitter is with you. Luckily, my babysitters were no one other than my grandparents - maternal & paternal. They both lived about 20 minutes from our house and with a mother who didn't want to send her daughters to daycare; we ended up in Bartlett 3 days a week and sometimes for the weekend, too.
My paternal grandparents or Big 'D and Nanny as I refer to them were the outdoors grandparents. We picked blackberries and blueberries off the bushes in the backyard, made pine cone feeders with Peter Pan peanut butter, or went fishing. Nanny is the grandmother that will shake her finger in just about anyone's face or scrunch up her nose in disgust. She was a southern gal, that moved to the big city after high school graduation. Big 'D, which is how he introduced himself to just about everyone he met, was the old scrooge that married the sweet girl. I often wonder how a man like that got a women like her. Then I realize with sass you go far in life!
For my maternal grandparents or Gran and Nana as I call them were the city grandparents. Both grew-up in the city and I love hearing stories of my Nana going Downtown on the bus with my mom's Nana to see the newest fashion from Chicago or New Orleans in the store fronts then meeting her daddy for lunch. Nana was a determined young lady - going to college in the 1940s was not common in the South and she did. She joined Delta Zeta sorority and thanks to a great friend met my grandfather during college. I love hearing how they used to get in trouble for flirting in public (Just this weekend when I was home, Mom and I glared at the grocery checkout girl until she stopped flirting and did her job) or how thanks to Mr. Sam, my grandparents became the loving couple I know today. Gran is one intelligent man. He can still tutor you in algebra - some 20+ years retired. He was an engineer and teacher at the local university. These are the grandparents I probably sent the most time with. When in doubt, we'd go walking at the mall (which meant a real Coca-Cola and Chick-fil-A sausage and biscuit), attend church (which meant blueberry pancakes with warm syrup), playing on their swing-set, trying to climb the huge walnut tree outside their house, and of course listening to records on the huge victrola player (it was the length of the formal living room wall).
If you don't know already, yesterday my Nana past away. She is the reason why I missed a question on my kindergarten entrance exam, [Seriously silver and gray are the same to a 4 year old. Sorry my grandmother had silver hair in my opinion. I was being creative!] learned how to cook, enjoy crossword puzzles [even though I get about 2 and then quiet], will always have my nails painted, fell in love with a place called Bethany Hills, and the person I called from the closet when I got into trouble with my Mama. But in reality she is the woman that has exuded unconditional love to everyone she knows. She always sees the great through her crystal-blue eyes. She always held my hand so tightly in hers and let me play dress up in her shoes. I remember playing on her walkers after her 3 hip replacements (because she outlived the first so they did another 20 years later). Nana always hated that with granddaughters born in June none were on her birthday. She was so proud to be a grandmother - never missing any event she could attend. Every birthday, Christmas parade, school program, Easter egg hunt, band concerts/competitions, Mid-South Fair sewing fashion show and even prom! I remember freezing in the Germantown Christmas parade walking with my Girl Scout Troop 61 as a gingerbread girl when I hear "WeeZee!" being yelled from the crowd. Yes, there were Nana and Gran standing on the corner of Farmingtown Blvd equally as cold waving and grinning so wide.
As I write this, I have not shed a tear but that doesn't mean more aren't to come. I still need to make it through tomorrow, a flight back to Memphis, Sunday, Monday, a flight back to Knoxville and then the beginning of my final semester of undergrad.
Yesterday, as I walked into the hospital, I didn't know what to expect. I myself was still in shock as I still am some 30 hours later. I have never been around so much love in my life. It's the little things at a time like this. It's the fact my roommate brought home orange daisies, or two friends took me to a basketball game and to get our nails done, the text messages throughout the day to check on me, or my mom's 'sorority big' telling stories of how they avoided Nana after curfew.
I wanted to be selfish and I got angry. When realistically, my uncle and cousin should be selfish. They are the two engaged; I'm only graduating college. Yes, a big moment and accomplishment (and one both her and Gran are so proud of). But I'll always have my Nana with me because she is a part of me. Nana helped raise me and my sister because my mom was selfish and wasn't going to send her kids to daycare. And that I am thankful for because as she said to me, I had my Nana for 21 and a half years. That's 21 and a half years more than most little girls ever have! She will be in the pink of each sunset, my early gray hairs, and each trip I take to the zoo. You see each time Nana and Gran asked what I wanted to go do, I said go to the zoo!
Forever your Miss Molly - I love you, Nana!
Good Golly
(Matthew 5:4)
No comments:
Post a Comment